Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Bottled green peppercorns add a surprising bite to this satisfying pasta sauce made with tomatoes, garlic and an abundance of chopped mushrooms. Although regular white mushrooms are used here, a more woodsy variety may be used instead if you prefer. Times are estimated. Recipe courtesy The Vegetarian Meat and Potatoes Cookbook.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 teaspoon bottled green peppercorn, drained
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb ziti pasta or 1 lb other tubular pasta
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, cover, and cook, stirring a few times, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook, stirring a few times, until the mushrooms release their liquid and are tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, peppercorns, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes to allow the flavors to develop. Keep warm over low heat.
- Meanwhile, cook the ziti in a large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain well.
- Transfer the ziti to a large bowl, add the sauce and toss gently to combine. Serve hot.