Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I came up with this recipe after making a batch of homeade sausage. The end product is a thick, rich sauce with a little kick! This recipe can be toned up or down by adjusting the amount of red pepper used. You may also substitute sweet Italian sausage for an even milder sauce. Dont' omit the capers, they add a very nice flavor! The only other "must" for this pasta dish is to add a nice glass of red wine and some crusty bread!
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2⁄3 cup red onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon capers, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes, mashed, liquid reserved
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 lb ziti pasta
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese or 1⁄2 cup romano cheese, grated
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook the sausage until evenly brown.
- Mix the red onion, garlic, and capers into the skillet, and cook until onion is tender. Mix in the mashed whole tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and red wine. Season with basil, parsley, oregano, red pepper, black pepper, and salt. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low. Simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Place the ziti in the pot, cook 10 minutes, until al dente, and drain.
- Serve the sauce mixture over the cooked pasta. Top with cheese.
Wow! This was very good! I love the spice, it went together very well. I just might even add a little more peppers next time, too! Thank you!