Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe has several steps, but is not difficult. And it is so worth it! Taken from Gourmet magazine.
- 10 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cherry tomatoes
- 3 bell peppers, any color
- 2 medium red onions
- 4 medium zucchini, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 1⁄4 lbs Italian sausage, sweet or hot
- 3 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 lb ziti pasta
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 cup ricotta salata, crumbled or thinly shaved
- Soak 5 (12 in) wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes.
- Stir 1 tsp each of salt and pepper into 6 TBL oil.
- Toss tomatoes with 1 TBL seasoned oil, then thread onto skewers.
- Trim off bottoms and tops of bell peppers, then halve peppers lengthwise.
- Quarter onions lengthwise, leaving root ends intact. Brush onions, peppers, and zucchini generously with some seasoned oil.
- Put garlic on a double layer of foil and drizzle with some seasoned oil, then wrap tightly in foil, twisting to seal. Put vegetables on a large tray.
- Brush sausages with some seasoned oil and put on a plate.
- Prepare grill for direct-heat cooking over medium-hot charcoal (medium-high heat for gas). Grill vegetables, garlic, and sausages (covered only if using a gas grill), turning occasionally until tomatoes are charred and slightly wilted, 3-5 minutes; bell peppers are blackened in spots, 8-10 minutes; onions and zucchini are tender, 8-12 minutes; garlic is softened, about 10 minutes; and sausages are browned and cooked through, 12-15 minutes. Transfer to a platter as cooked and keep warm, covered.
- Peel peppers. Coarsely chop 2 bell pepper halves and 2 zucchini halves and transfer to a blender. Add garlic, 4 pieces of onion, vinegar, sugar, 3/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, half of tomatoes, and remaining 1/4 cup oil. Puree until as smooth as possible.
- Transfer remaining tomatoes to a large serving bowl and keep warm, covered. Chop remaining peppers, onion, and zucchini and add to tomatoes.
- Meanwhile, cook ziti in a pasta pot of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain in a colander, then add to grilled vegetables and toss with sauce. Sprinkle with herbs and cheese, then serve with sausages.