Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe has several steps, but is not difficult. And it is so worth it! Taken from Gourmet magazine.
- 10 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cherry tomatoes
- 3 bell peppers, any color
- 2 medium red onions
- 4 medium zucchini, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 1⁄4 lbs Italian sausage, sweet or hot
- 3 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 lb ziti pasta
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 cup ricotta salata, crumbled or thinly shaved
- Soak 5 (12 in) wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes.
- Stir 1 tsp each of salt and pepper into 6 TBL oil.
- Toss tomatoes with 1 TBL seasoned oil, then thread onto skewers.
- Trim off bottoms and tops of bell peppers, then halve peppers lengthwise.
- Quarter onions lengthwise, leaving root ends intact. Brush onions, peppers, and zucchini generously with some seasoned oil.
- Put garlic on a double layer of foil and drizzle with some seasoned oil, then wrap tightly in foil, twisting to seal. Put vegetables on a large tray.
- Brush sausages with some seasoned oil and put on a plate.
- Prepare grill for direct-heat cooking over medium-hot charcoal (medium-high heat for gas). Grill vegetables, garlic, and sausages (covered only if using a gas grill), turning occasionally until tomatoes are charred and slightly wilted, 3-5 minutes; bell peppers are blackened in spots, 8-10 minutes; onions and zucchini are tender, 8-12 minutes; garlic is softened, about 10 minutes; and sausages are browned and cooked through, 12-15 minutes. Transfer to a platter as cooked and keep warm, covered.
- Peel peppers. Coarsely chop 2 bell pepper halves and 2 zucchini halves and transfer to a blender. Add garlic, 4 pieces of onion, vinegar, sugar, 3/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, half of tomatoes, and remaining 1/4 cup oil. Puree until as smooth as possible.
- Transfer remaining tomatoes to a large serving bowl and keep warm, covered. Chop remaining peppers, onion, and zucchini and add to tomatoes.
- Meanwhile, cook ziti in a pasta pot of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain in a colander, then add to grilled vegetables and toss with sauce. Sprinkle with herbs and cheese, then serve with sausages.