Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Vegetarian Times: Low Fat & Fast. Can be converted to low-carb by using the Dream Fields pasta. Did your tomatoes turn out bad this year? Try using canned whole tomatoes or chopped. Replace kalamata olives with black.
- 8 ounces uncooked ziti pasta or 8 ounces mostaccioli pasta
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, pitted and sliced
- 1⁄3 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
- 1 3⁄4 lbs tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- crumbled goat cheese or grated parmesan cheese
- Prepar pasta according to packaged directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large serving bowl, combine olives, basil, oil, vinegar, garlic, capers, and red pepper flakes.
- Add the tomatoes to olive mixture and toss.
- Drain pasta and add to tomato-olive sauce; toss well.
- Sprinkle with cheese if desired.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Great way to use up tomatoes, easy for a weeknight meal, and nice fresh Mediterranean flavor. I enjoyed with goat cheese and used the optional capers. Thanks!
I forgot to add the cheese as well. Didn't miss it a bit. I think this is one of those recipes that ought to be only made in summer when tomatoes and basil are fresh. Making fresh pasta would send this recipe right over the top. It was good hot, room temperature and cold.
Outstandingly delicious!! Had this two nights in a row 'cuz Thor couldn't get enough of it. Had to sub regular black olives as I had no Kalamata. This is just personal taste but I didn't think the parmesan cheese added anything to this dish. Usually, when I taste a pasta dish and it is delicious adding parmesan makes it even more delicious. Not the case this time. Thank You for posting.