Recipe by Feast Your Eyes!
This is a filling one-dish pasta meal that boasts the flavors of Parmesan cheese, fresh asparagus, toasted pine nuts, and creamy ricotta cheese.
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 yellow sweet pepper
- 1 sweet red pepper
- kosher salt
- 1 lb fresh asparagus
- olive oil
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (rub between fingers to waken flavor)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley, roughly chopped
- 8 ounces ziti pasta, uncooked
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut peppers in half, and remove the seeds and membrane.
- Place prepared peppers, skin-side up, on an ungreased baking sheet. Broil 5 inches from the heating element for 15 to 20 minutes (until peppers blister and turn dark).
- Transfer roasted peppers to a bowl of ice water for 5 minutes.
- Peel off the skins from the peppers; cut into julienne strips, lightly salt and set aside.
- Snap off the tough ends of the asparagus; cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Steam the asparagus for 2 to 3 minutes, or until crisp-tender. Lightly salt and set aside.
- Coat a large heavy-bottomed skillet with olive oil; place over medium-high heat until hot. Add the peppers, garlic, onion powder and basil; saute for 2 minutes. Add the asparagus and saute for 1 minute; stir in the lemon juice.
- Remove vegetables from heat, and set aside.
- Cook the ziti according to the package directions. Meanwhile, in an electric blender or food processor, add the ricotta cheese, yogurt and sour cream; blend until smooth. Stir in the parsley.
- Add the ricotta mixture to the peppers and asparagus. Gently toss to combine.
- Transfer the cooked pasta to a large serving bowl; add the ricotta/peppers. Toss well to combine. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, pine nuts and black pepper.