Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Wonderful with a fresh tossed green salad.
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1 lb ziti pasta
- 1⁄2 cup diced Fontina cheese
- 1⁄2 cup diced fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup diced asiago cheese
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- fine sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- To"toast" the bread crumbs heat 1 tablespoon of the butter in a small sauté pan, add the bread crumbs, and cook them until golden brown.
- Transfer the crumbs to a small bowl and set side.
- Cook the ziti according to the directions.
- Be sure not to over cook.
- Drain and return to the pasta pot.
- Over low heat, stir the ziti with the remaining 4 tablespoons butter until it is well coated.
- Scatter the Fontina, mozzarella, and Asiago cheeses over the top and let them remain on top for 1 to 2 minutes to warm over low heat.
- Stir vigorously with a wooden spoon to melt the cheeses, then stir in the Parmigiano, nutmeg, salt, and heavy cream until well mixed.
- Transfer the macaroni and cheese to a serving platter.
- Sprinkle the toasted bread crumbs over the top and serve immediately.
Secret, this was better than my favorite Italian Restaurant that we go to! And so easy to make too. My brother was craving ziti and I found your recipe and thought the cheeses you chose sounded delicious, and they were! Thanks Secret, this is our new family ziti recipe we will use!!