Recipe by Gingerbear
Wonderful with a fresh tossed green salad.
Top Review by Dana-MMH
Secret, this was better than my favorite Italian Restaurant that we go to! And so easy to make too. My brother was craving ziti and I found your recipe and thought the cheeses you chose sounded delicious, and they were! Thanks Secret, this is our new family ziti recipe we will use!!
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1 lb ziti pasta
- 1⁄2 cup diced Fontina cheese
- 1⁄2 cup diced fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup diced asiago cheese
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- fine sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- To"toast" the bread crumbs heat 1 tablespoon of the butter in a small sauté pan, add the bread crumbs, and cook them until golden brown.
- Transfer the crumbs to a small bowl and set side.
- Cook the ziti according to the directions.
- Be sure not to over cook.
- Drain and return to the pasta pot.
- Over low heat, stir the ziti with the remaining 4 tablespoons butter until it is well coated.
- Scatter the Fontina, mozzarella, and Asiago cheeses over the top and let them remain on top for 1 to 2 minutes to warm over low heat.
- Stir vigorously with a wooden spoon to melt the cheeses, then stir in the Parmigiano, nutmeg, salt, and heavy cream until well mixed.
- Transfer the macaroni and cheese to a serving platter.
- Sprinkle the toasted bread crumbs over the top and serve immediately.