Recipe by Cookin'withGas
I just love one dish meals! This one is another favorite...Add a tossed salad and you're set!
- 1 lb ziti pasta, cooked & drained (Ronzoni Whole Wheat pasta)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 lb ground turkey breast or 1 lb ground chicken breast
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can spaghetti sauce
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes (no salt added if available)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste (no salt added if available)
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (8 ounce) package low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In skillet, combine onion, green pepper and ground turkey breast and cook until completely browned, in the oil and drain.
- Add spaghetti sauce (meatless or your favorite combo, I like Hunt's Italian Sausage version), canned whole tomatoes, tomato paste and all seasonings --Simmer 15 minutes.
- In the bottom of a 13 X 9 X 2 pan, pour a little bit of the meat sauce --.
- Top with half of the ziti, half of the meat sauce --.
- Then repeat the procedure with another layer of remaining ziti and another of the remaining sauce --.
- Top with the shredded cheddar and bake in the preheated 350° oven for 15 min --.
- Let stand 5 min before serving --.
- Suggestions:Use a different pasta, such as rotini or penne rigati; use a different cheese, such as mozzarella or monterey jack -- .