Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A nice way to add some ZIP to your ziti, made healthier with whole wheat pasta and part-skim mozzarella! Add a tossed salad to round out the meal!
- 1 lb ziti pasta (Ronzoni Whole Wheat pasta)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs polska kielbasa, sliced diagonally (Hillshire Farms)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (26 1/2 ounce) can spaghetti sauce (Hunt's Roasted Garlic)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C); lightly oil a 13X9 baking pan or grab a non-stick one.
- Cook pasta per package directions and drain.
- While pasta cooks, heat oil in a mediun skillet over medium-high heat; Cook kielbasa in skillet until browned on both sides, 5-7 min; drain.
- In a large bowl, combine the pasta, kielbasa, spaghetti sauce, oregano, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Pour into the baking pan; sprinkle with parsley and then the mozzarella.
- Cover lightly with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 30-45 minutes until casserole is bubbly and the cheese is completely melted.
- For OAMC: Prepare casserole but use a disposable (foil) baking pan; do NOT bake; double wrap casserole in plastic wrap, then in foil wrap and freeze; remove from freezer 24 hours or more in advance of need; remove wrapping and thaw in fridge; once thawed, preheat oven to 350°F (177°C); then cover lightly with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 30-45 minutes until casserole is bubbly and the cheese is completely melted.
Great recipe. My husband and four-year-old son loved it. Thanks for sharing! I also added a chopped green pepper, several sliced mushrooms, and some red pepper flakes to give it some kick.
easy and quick!
We liked this one. Will be making again. Thanks