Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A quick and easy recipe from Molto Mario. The hardest part is preparing the pumpkin. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 lb pumpkin, cut into julienne
- 1 cup water
- salt and black pepper
- 1 pinch hot chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 lb uncooked ziti pasta
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil over high heat and add the onion, garlic, and pumpkin and cook 1 minute.
- Add the water, salt and pepper, lower heat to medium and cover, cooking until the pumpkin is soft, about 8 minutes.
- Add the red pepper flakes and parsley and keep warm.
- Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil and add 2 tablespoons salt. Cook the ziti according to the package directions, until tender yet al dente.
- Toss the pasta with the cooked pumpkin 1 minute over high heat. Divide evenly among 4 warmed pasta bowls, topped with freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano.
Thank you so much for posting this recipe! I changed the amount of garlic to 2 large cloves, but otherwise kept it as you posted it. It was so delicious, and I was blown away at the fact that my picky 2 year old even wanted seconds! This recipe will definitely be made again in the future! Thanks Again!!!
This was quite good, and packs a lot of nutrition. I made some adjustments based on reviews of this recipe on the Food Network site. I used 1 tablespoon of oil, 2 cloves of garlic, 1/8 tsp of red pepper flakes, and frozen pureed squash to make it easy (zucca, after all, is generic for "squash" in Italian). Topped it with some toasted pine nuts, lots of parsley, and a squeeze of lemon. Very yummy!