Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is a good way to get kids to eat eggplant. It doesn't have to be eggplant, either. I have made it with artichokes, and with capsicums (bell peppers) of different colours.
- 1 eggplant, washed
- 500 g ziti pasta or 500 g penne
- 500 g ricotta cheese
- 500 g mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄3 cup parmigiano
- 2 cups tomatoes or 2 cups pasta sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 liters water
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F).
- In a large pot, boil the water.
- When it boils, add the salt and pasta.
- Stir for thirty seconds.
- Boil the pasta for eight minutes and drain.
- Cut the eggplant into 1 cm cubes.
- In a large bowl, using your hands, toss with the olive oil, garlic, and parmigiano cheese.
- Add salt, pepper, and oregano and toss.
- Grate the mozzarella.
- Toss 2/3 of the mozzarella cheese with the eggplant mixture.
- Reserve the other third.
- Using a spoon, flick bits of the ricotta into the bowl.
- Toss gently with your hands, using a folding technique- start at the bottom and fold it over the top so you don't spread the ricotta too much.
- Oil a 23 cm (9 in) square pan.
- When the pasta is cool enough to handle, add it to the bowl and toss quickly.
- Spread the mixture in the baking pan.
- Cover with the tomato sauce.
- Bang the pan on the counter a few times to get everything to settle and the air bubbles out.
- Cover with the remaining mozzarella.
- Cover LOOSELY with a"tent" of tin foil- do not let the foil touch the food!
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove the tin foil and bake for 10 minutes more.
- Rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Great Tasting! Although it was a little cheesy for my taste, the kids loved it and I added mushrooms and spinach to give it an extra boost of nutrients. My mother felt like she was eating at a restaurant. All in all, a great easy, simple meal that incorporates vegetables beautifully.
great tasting,although added A LOT more ital.spice+used 1%cottage cheese for 1/2 the ricotta,+cut down on mozzarala,all to eliminate fat-AL IN ALL TASTED WONDERFUL!!