Recipe by Teresa Mackey
My mother-in-law calls this "Zita", and it's another one of those recipes my husband loves. This one also took me 3 years to get! Wonderful served with a salad and garlic bread.
Top Review by Lorrie in Montreal
Made for Pasta & Potatoes Challenge March 08 We LOVED it! My guys are pasta freaks...being part Italian may be the reason...LOL The combo of ground beef and sausage is very tasty. I used a bit of italian seasoning in the sauce and subbed marble cheddar for mozzarella...only because thats what I had. yum yum yum...thanks!!
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 package hot Italian sausage (5 links)
- 2 medium onions
- 2 green bell peppers
- 4 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 4 boxes large corkscrew noodles
- 8 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons salad oil
- garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove sausage from its casings.
- Brown hamburger and sausage together and drain.
- finely dice or chop onion and bell pepper and sautee in the salad oil; drain Cook noodles and drain.
- combine meat, onion and bell pepper, tomato sauce and simmer.
- Add salt, pepper, and garlic to taste to the sauce.
- Add drained noodles to the sauce.
- Simmer together on low for 1 hour.
- Put a layer of the noodles and sauce in a baking pan.
- Add a layer of mozzerella cheese.
- Add another layer of the noodles and sauce.
- Add the final layer of mozzarella cheese.
- Bake on 350 degrees for 30 minutes.