1/1 Photo of Zippy's Fried Chicken
I found this recipe on the KaukauTime blog. I haven't tried it yet, but wanted to save it since I miss the taste of Zippy's! Note: The secret of Zippy's Crispy Fried Chicken is the paprika and flour. The paprika and flour will make the chicken crispy without it being overly battered. Adding a bit of cornstarch will make it even more crispier if you prefer it this way. The more paprika you add will also make the chicken darker.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (3 -4 lb) fresh whole broiler-fryer chickens
- 2 cups wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1 tablespoon msg (I'm not advocating for this one..you can)
- 2 teaspoons fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 pinch coarse hawaiian rock salt (or two!) or 1 pinch kosher salt (or two!)
- canola oil (for deep frying)
- warm water, to cover chicken
- 1Rinse and cut up chicken into parts easy for frying.
- 2Drain and in colander and put in clean mixing bowl and cover with warm water.
- 3Add 2 big pinches of Hawaiian rock or kosher salt to bowl to create a salt brine for the chicken.
- 4Soak chicken parts for 10 minutes.
- 5Drain in colander and do not rinse.
- 6In another mixing bowl add dry ingredients such as flour, garlic powder, paprika, white/black pepper, and MSG.
- 7Mix with wire whisk or blend in a blender to remove flour lumps.
- 8Add drained chicken pieces to mixing bowl of dry ingredients.
- 9Dredge chicken parts well to make sure it covers the whole piece.
- 10Shake excess flour off of chicken and set aside on tray or cookie sheet while you're heating up oil.
- 11Heat canola oil in wok, deep frying pan, or dedicated deep fryer with oil enough to cover chicken pieces.
- 12Heat oil to 350-375°F.
- 13Add chicken in 2 batches.
- 14Chicken batches will cook for approximately 15mins or until golden brown all over.
- 15Drain on paper towels and keep in 150°F oven to keep warm.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zippy's Fried Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (203 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 636.8
- Calories from Fat 318
- Total Fat 35.3 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 170.2 mg
- Sodium 161.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 48.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: