Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is definitely a different and tasty chili. It's a takeoff of Zippy's Chili, which is renown in Hawaii. Over there it's being re-sold at Pizza Hut and Taco Bell.
- 1 lb ground top round beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, cooked and diced
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 pinch paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon msg (like Accent)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons red wine
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 bay leaf, crushed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 pinch ground cumin or 1 pinch cumin seed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 3 -5 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce (I used crushed tomatoes)
- Brown beef, onion and bacon drain.
- In large pot combine beef mixture with rest of ingredients.
- Simmer at least 30 minutes.
- NOTE: I simmered for a couple hours and of course its better the next day!
Hmm. I heard it was creamy peanut butter.
I've often heard that Mayo is the secret ingredient for Zippy's chili. :)
After living in Hawaii most of my life and now reside in Colorado, I had craving for Zippy's Chili. This recipe does not taste anything like the chili from Zippy's. It's missing the secret ingredient that makes it just like Zippy's.