1/2 Photos of Zippy Turkey Stoup
No, that's not a typo. My DH calls my soups "stoup" because I make them THICK. My oldest son is down with a head cold and a sore throat and I didn't have time for my usual, homemade chicken and noodle soup so I whipped this up instead of the planned dinner he wouldn't have been able to eat. You don't have to have a head cold to enjoy this. You just need to be looking for a bowlful of meaty goodness and colorful veggies with a little extra zip. Note -- "vegetable juice cocktail" is V-8. But that isn't in the ingredient database so I can't say it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 large onion
- 1 -2 cup chopped zucchini (1, 8-10-inch or 2, 6-inch squash)
- 1 -2 cup chopped yellow squash (1, 8-10-inch or 2, 6-inch squash)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 lb frozen spinach (optional)
- 2 small fresh jalapeno peppers, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, put through press
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 8 -12 ounces vegetable juice cocktail (optional) or 8 -12 ounces tomato juice (optional)
- 1 cup rice
- olive oil
- 1In a large pot, brown the ground turkey and onions in a little olive oil.
- 2Add all the other ingredients and bring to boil.
- 3Simmer 15-20 minutes, until rice is soft and flavors are well blended.
- 4Note: If you prefer a thinner, more brothy consistency add more chicken stock and taste to adjust seasonings.
- 5Note: The jalapenos don't make this really hot -- just a little zippy. If even this is too much substitute the milder Anaheims or "Cubanelle"-type sweet peppers. If its not spicy enough for you go for whatever variety suits your taste.
- 6Note -- I haven't frozen it, but it ought to freeze as well as any other soup.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zippy Turkey Stoup
Serving Size: 1 (285 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 228.0
- Calories from Fat 67
- Total Fat 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 62.1 mg
- Sodium 337.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 17.2 g