No, that's not a typo. My DH calls my soups "stoup" because I make them THICK. My oldest son is down with a head cold and a sore throat and I didn't have time for my usual, homemade chicken and noodle soup so I whipped this up instead of the planned dinner he wouldn't have been able to eat. You don't have to have a head cold to enjoy this. You just need to be looking for a bowlful of meaty goodness and colorful veggies with a little extra zip. Note -- "vegetable juice cocktail" is V-8. But that isn't in the ingredient database so I can't say it.
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 large onion
- 1 -2 cup chopped zucchini (1, 8-10-inch or 2, 6-inch squash)
- 1 -2 cup chopped yellow squash (1, 8-10-inch or 2, 6-inch squash)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 lb frozen spinach (optional)
- 2 small fresh jalapeno peppers, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, put through press
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 8 -12 ounces vegetable juice cocktail (optional) or 8 -12 ounces tomato juice (optional)
- 1 cup rice
- olive oil
- In a large pot, brown the ground turkey and onions in a little olive oil.
- Add all the other ingredients and bring to boil.
- Simmer 15-20 minutes, until rice is soft and flavors are well blended.
- Note: If you prefer a thinner, more brothy consistency add more chicken stock and taste to adjust seasonings.
- Note: The jalapenos don't make this really hot -- just a little zippy. If even this is too much substitute the milder Anaheims or "Cubanelle"-type sweet peppers. If its not spicy enough for you go for whatever variety suits your taste.
- Note -- I haven't frozen it, but it ought to freeze as well as any other soup.
This was a big surprise! I really didn't think it would be so darn good! Both DH and I thought it was outstanding. The only thing that it really, really needed was salt. (But that could just be us). I tagged this recipe because I had some leftover spinach. I cut the recipe in half, used fresh spinach, and the V-8 juice I used was hot and spicy. This is so good I don't think we will ever have a head cold again. Thanks 3KillerBs for posting. (we are sister Geminis, how cool is that?)