Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Possibly the easiest tomato soup you'll every make! And it's no slouch in the taste department, either, with a sweet smokiness from the roasted tomatoes and paprika. Perfect served with a dollop of sour cream or a grilled cheese sandwich. This is a very forgiving recipe, so feel free to spice it to your preferences or substitute for the ingredients you have on hand! I do suggest you use Muir Glen Fire Roasted Crushed Tomatoes because they give the soup a great depth of flavor and a hint of smokiness, but any brand crushed tomatoes would do in a pinch (just don't use diced tomatoes, or the soup will be watery).
- 2 (14 ounce) cansmuir glen fire roasted crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chicken stock (or water)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (if your paprika is really spicy, you may want to omit cayenne)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon powdered rosemary (or 1 tsp. whole dried, or 1 T. fresh minced)
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- sour cream (to garnish) (optional)
- Spray a medium saucepan with a little olive oil. Saute onion, celery, and garlic till onion becomes translucent and celery is still bright green. Reduce heat to low; add crushed tomatoes, stock, paprika, cayenne, rosemary, and marjoram and simmer 15 minutes.
- Puree soup (if desired) with an immersion blender. Serve with a dollop of sour cream (if desired).
GREAT soup ~ love that fact that it fills you up without filling you out!!! Very tasty and easy. Will be making this often. Thanks for posting this! Made for Healthy Choices ABC.