Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A twist to a regular Taco Salad. My Mother has been making her taco salad this way for as long as I can remember and I loved it as much as she does! My husband and his family are always excited when we're grilling out because they know it's going to be served. It's pretty good the day after too! I hope you'll enjoy it as well.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 heads lettuce, chopped or ripped apart
- 2 -3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) package mild cheddar cheese, chopped into small blocks
- 2 (20 ounce) jars Thousand Island sandwich spread (found with the mayo at grocery stores)
- 1 bag plain Doritos, slightly smashed
- This is a great an easy recipe that can be thrown together at the last minute.
- It's great for bbq's and you can really add just about anything else to it.
- Sometimes I even like to add a taco seasoning to the beef while it's browning.
- Put ground beef on to brown as usual.
- While beef is browning you can prepare the rest.
- In a large bowl you can mix the lettuce, chopped tomatos and chopped cheese.
- Next you add the 2 jars of Thousand Island Sandwich spread, mix well.
- When the beef is done you can add that to the salad and mix.
- If it looks a little dry add (to taste) the remainder jar of Thousand Island Sandwich Spread.
- The Doritos are added last.
- If I make this before the meal is served I like to wait till it's time to eat before I add the Doritos, just to keep them nice and crunchy.
This was good...I thought that the Thousand Island sandwich spread was a little too sweet for our tastes, but overall, it was a good recipe. I did add a package of taco seasoning mix to the beef as it was cooking, and I would probably use shredded cheddar cheese next time. Thank you for sharing this recipe....It was tasty and very easy to put together.
It is a recipe that my mother passed down to me, I'm really not sure where it originated from. I love it with the black olives too but my husband isn't a fan of the olives so we have it without. It really is good with any meal.
i want to know where she got this recipe from, a simular recipe was given to me about 15 yrs ago from a friend except that you use dorito naucho chip, grated cheese, and a can chopped black olives ,it adds more flavor to the recipe and tastes good with any meal.