Recipe by Heidi Maurer
A twist to a regular Taco Salad. My Mother has been making her taco salad this way for as long as I can remember and I loved it as much as she does! My husband and his family are always excited when we're grilling out because they know it's going to be served. It's pretty good the day after too! I hope you'll enjoy it as well.
Top Review by Stacky5
This was good...I thought that the Thousand Island sandwich spread was a little too sweet for our tastes, but overall, it was a good recipe. I did add a package of taco seasoning mix to the beef as it was cooking, and I would probably use shredded cheddar cheese next time. Thank you for sharing this recipe....It was tasty and very easy to put together.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 heads lettuce, chopped or ripped apart
- 2 -3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) package mild cheddar cheese, chopped into small blocks
- 2 (20 ounce) jars Thousand Island sandwich spread (found with the mayo at grocery stores)
- 1 bag plain Doritos, slightly smashed
Directions See How It's Made
- This is a great an easy recipe that can be thrown together at the last minute.
- It's great for bbq's and you can really add just about anything else to it.
- Sometimes I even like to add a taco seasoning to the beef while it's browning.
- Put ground beef on to brown as usual.
- While beef is browning you can prepare the rest.
- In a large bowl you can mix the lettuce, chopped tomatos and chopped cheese.
- Next you add the 2 jars of Thousand Island Sandwich spread, mix well.
- When the beef is done you can add that to the salad and mix.
- If it looks a little dry add (to taste) the remainder jar of Thousand Island Sandwich Spread.
- The Doritos are added last.
- If I make this before the meal is served I like to wait till it's time to eat before I add the Doritos, just to keep them nice and crunchy.