Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a spicy sweet tomato chow chow that we make in the summertime with our home grown tomatoes. This goes well as a side to peas and other vegetables and also poured over a block of cream cheese as a spread with crackers.
- 12 cups tomatoes
- 2 large onions
- 3 green bell peppers (seeds removed)
- 5 hot peppers (the seeds and white membranes add heat, your choice to use or remove)
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- Process all vegetables in a food processor to desired consistency. We like ours to be a bit chunky like salsa.
- Bring vinegar, salt and sugar to a boil on the stove to dissolve ingredients.
- Combine everything in a large stock pot.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer uncovered for 2 hours.
- Can in pint jars or enjoy immediately.