1/1 Photo of Zippy Dippy Chicken Strips to Bake or Fry
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This recipe is all about you. You be the judge as to the amount of heat from the chili sauce and make the decision "to fry or not". Baked or fried these strips are delicious, crunchy and well seasoned. Please note: The prep time includes the marinade time and the cook time is for baking the strips.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 -2 teaspoon hot chili sauce, sriracha
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 cups corn, flake crumbs
- 1/4 cup macadamia nuts, ground fine
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds, ground
- 1/3-1/2 cup oil (optional)
- cooking spray (optional)
- 1Lightly flatten the chicken breasts to even thickness. Cut each into 4 strips. In a bowl combine the buttermilk and hot chili sauce. Place the chicken strips into buttermilk mixture; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
- 2When ready to cook the chicken breasts, measure out the cornstarch and place in shallow dish. Beat eggs in a shallow dish with a couple of tablespoons water until thoroughly combined; set aside. Place the cornflake crumbs in a third shallow dish, stir in ground nuts and coconut.
- 3Remove chicken strips from buttermilk allowing excess milk to drain off. Dip each strip into cornstarch and then dip in egg. Roll each piece of chicken in crumb mixture, pressing down lightly to ensure even coating. As the chicken strips are coated, place on a baking rack and allow to stand for 15 to 20 minutes.
- 4For Frying: In a heavy skillet over medium high heat, warm the oil. When oil is sizzling hot add in the chicken strips a few at a time. Shallow fry turning once, until golden brown and crispy, about 3 minutes per side. Place the cooked chicken on a clean baking rack and allow to stand in a warm oven until ready to serve. Repeat process until all of the chicken is cooked, adding oil as necessary.
- 5To Bake: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a baking rack with non-stick cooking spray. Place the coated chicken strips on rack, spay with cooking oil and place in preheated oven. Cook 10 minutes, turn strips and cook and additional 6 to 10 minutes or until crispy and cooked through.
- 6For the sauce: Put all ingredients in a small saucepan and warm over low heat. Serve and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Healthy Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Healthy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zippy Dippy Chicken Strips to Bake or Fry
Serving Size: 1 (224 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 521.4
- Calories from Fat 155
- Total Fat 17.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 151.2 mg
- Sodium 534.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 20.9 g
- Protein 27.2 g