I went to Applebee's one day craving soup. They had this corn chowder that was out of this world. I tried many recipes, then I came along to this one. I make this at least once every 2 months. I crave it! It's just spicy enough, without making your nose run. I love it!
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 3 large red potatoes, cubed
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped (leave seeds in for spicier flavor)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (the more the spicier)
- 4 cups frozen corn
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 3 cups milk, divided
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shredded taco chips
- In large saucepan, sauté onion and green pepper in butter until tender.
- Add broth and potatoes, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender.
- Stir in jalapeño, mustard, salt, paprika and red pepper flakes.
- Add corn, green onions and 2 1/2 cups of milk, bring to a boil.
- Combine flour with remaining milk until smooth; gradually add to soup.
- Bring to boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes, or until thickened and bubbly.
- Top with a pinch of taco chips and serve.
Very tasty! I've made it several times now and sometimes I'll add some cooked chicken.
I will totally make this recipe again! I didn't have green onions so I just omitted. I was out of green pepper so I substituted roasted red pepper from the jar. I used all of the jalapeno seeds and next time I will only use half.
Made exactly as posted and was enjoyed by all. Don't skip on the Tostitos, they add a lot to the chowder and have some ready on the side-yum!