Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Shrimp drink in the spicy sauce while they chill. Great appetizer or as a main course. Use fresh ginger.
- 2 tablespoons oil, divided
- 1 1⁄2 lbs medium shrimp, shelled and deveined (leave tail on)
- 2 green onions, chopped,with tops reserved
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger or 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 8 lettuce leaves (to garnish)
- In a heavy 10-inch skillet heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over moderately high heat for 1 minute.
- Add the shrimp and stir-fry for 2 minutes; transfer to a platter.
- Add the remaining oil to the skillet, then the green onions, garlic and fresh ginger; stir-fry about 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken broth, tomato paste, vinegar, sugar, and cayenne pepper; simmer and stir for 3 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Return the shrimp to the skillet and cook, stirring, 3 minutes longer.
- Pour all into a bowl; cover and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- When ready to serve, arrange the lettuce leaves on a plater and mound the shrimp on top.
- Chop the reserved green onion tops and sprinkle over the shrimp.
Excellent. It was a hit. Make sure that you let the sauce thicken in Step 4. Thanks Debster.