Recipe by Derf
This recipe is submitted for the RSC Summer 2004 contest
Top Review by HeatherFeather
Good. This has a nice tang from the buttermilk, which I enjoyed very much, and I liked the combination of veggies. I usually am a big fan of balsamic vinegar, however in this recipe, it seemed to overpower all of the other ingredients. I did find the directions to be very clear. I needed the full 50 minutes for the rice cook time.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, diced (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1 cup brown basmati rice or 1 cup any long cooking brown rice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup fresh green peas or 1⁄2 cup frozen green pea, thawed
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat butter and oil in a large nonstick frypan, add zucchini and onion, sauté just until onion is soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add red pepper, jalapeño pepper, garlic and sage, sauté 1 minute more.
- Add rice, salt and pepper, stir to coat.
- Add balsamic vinegar, deglaze pan and add chicken broth and buttermilk.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat; simmer covered with a tight fitting lid, for 45 to 50 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Add green peas while fluffing rice with a fork, remove pan from heat; replace lid and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!