Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This a great quick easy meal. Kids love it because of the addition of the potato chips on top. Add a green salad and biscuits....Yummy
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2⁄3 cup catsup
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper (optional)
- 1 -2 tablespoon instant minced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup crushed potato chips
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook and stir meat until brown.
- Drain off fat.
- Prepare elbows as directed on package; drain.
- In ungreased 2 quart casserole mix all ingredients except potato chips.
- Cover and bake for 40 minutes.
- Uncover, sprinkle with potato chips and bake and additional 5 minutes.
Hubby and I liked this dish! I too weighed the macaroni, but found that 4 ounces was (slightly) a bit more than one cup. I only added 1-1/2 Tbsp. dried minced onion, 1/2 tsp. of salt, and added several large dashes of pepper. I didn't have any green pepper to add to this dish, and it still tasted good. I baked this casserole for 40 minutes, but next time I'm going to reduce the baking time to 30 minutes (not counting the extra 5 minutes to bake the crushed chips). I found this casserole made at least 5 servings, rather than 8. Since we liked this dish, I will definitely make this casserole again. Thanx for the recipe Maggie. It was good!!
This made for a nice dinner when I discovered I'd messed up my grocery shopping and didn't have what I needed to make what I originally planned. This was simple to prepare and had a pleasant, mild taste; I'm sure children would love this. I thought the 4 oz of macaroni (I weighed my pasta, it measured out to be just shy of 1 cup) wasn't going to be enough, but it was perfect. I didn't use the green pepper, used only 1 tbsp of the minced onion, and eliminated the salt (between the soup, the ketchup and the chips, extra salt was unnecessary in my opinion); I also added a good grinding of black pepper. In Step #6, I reduced the baking time down to 35 minutes from 40, and I think 30 minutes would have been better; the macaroni was very soft. In highsight, I should have slightly undercooked the macaroni before putting the casserole together. Thanks for posting!
Taste is similar to beef stroganoff. It was nice, but tasted a bit salty and "heavy".