Recipe by GloriaAnn
I found this recipe in the Light & Tasty magazine, and I make it at least once a week. A whole pot will due all week. It tastes even better when reheated. I changed it a little bit. It was a originally a slow cooker recipe, but since I'd rather cook it on stove top, it works the same. And takes a lot less time. Serve with cornbread or Hearty Oat Loaf.
Top Review by Mamy27
I've made this several times now--sorry it's taken me so long to review it! I absolutely love this--very flexible, and easy to suit to your own tastes. Great for the cooler fall and winter months coming up! I like to use 4 different types of beans, and I've also tried adding some barley to the mix--always turns out wonderfully! Thanks for posting! :)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth (I used garlic, low sodium can be used as well)
- 2 (16 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, undrained (you can drain if you like)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 2 (4 ounce) canschopped green chilies, undrained (optional)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans corn, undrained (doesn't matter whether it's golden corn or white corn. Either is fine. If you use cream corn it tend)
- 1 -3 cup water
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- salt (optional)
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, combine all the ingredients.
- Bring to boil on medium heat for 15-30 minutes.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 30 more minutes or until flavors are blended.
- Add seasonings to taste (2 teaspoons of salt ought to be enough).
- Add other seasonings--spice it up a bit.
- This recipe is very flexible, this is just the original ingredients, except I added the cayenne pepper and the salt.
- Switch the beans around.
- I will use lima beans, or great northern beans.
- Any type of bean can be substituted.
- Heck, use 4 different types of beans.
- It makes for a great healthy meal.
- You can use 1 can pinto beans, 1 can kidney beans, 1 can great northerns, and 1 can lima beans.
- It's a very flexible recipe you can add your own stuff to.