Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I have had this recipe for a couple of years and got it from another site, but I did several modifications to the original. It makes a LOT! Great OAMC recipe!
- 1 lb ziti pasta
- 1.5 (26 ounce) cans spaghetti sauce
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 3⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 3⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup sugar, to taste
- 3⁄4 cup cottage cheese
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 (6 ounce) package provolone cheese, sliced
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cook ziti according to package. Drain.
- Cook italian sausage along with garlic and onion until browned. Drain. Return sausage mixture to pan. Add in spaghetti sauce, sugar, and spices. Stir.
- Combine sour cream and cottage cheese.
- Grease 13x9 with cooking spray.
- Layer in the pan 1/2 of noodles, 1/2 of sauce, all of the provolone, all of the sour cream/cottage cheese mixture, 2nd 1/2 of noodles, 2nd half of sauce, mozzarella, and parmesan.
- Bake in oven for 20-30 minutes or until heated through and cheeses are melted.
Great family meal. Easy to make and everyone loved it. Omitted the sugar, and divided the dish in half, making an 11x7 pan for dinner immediately, and freezing the rest in a deep-dish 9-inch foil pan for later. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
This is so much easier than lasagna and just as delicious. Serve with garlic bread and a tossed green salad (don't forget the feta cheese and Italian olives) and you have a great meal for a crowd. How about some Spumoni ice cream for dessert? I love Italian dishes like this!
Very good except I have to ask if it wasn't a typo calling for that much sugar . . .