Recipe by HeatherFeather
These cookies have a unique taste from orange and lemon zest - plus a bit of spicy zip from black pepper, cloves, and cinnamon. Cook time is for one batch of cookies at a time. Adapted from an old recipe clipping from Woman's World. Please note - prep time is only for the mixing of dough etc. There is also chilling time - 30 minutes to chill the dough before forming into slicing logs, as well as 1 hour in the freezer after the nuts are pressed into the dough.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemons, zest of
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (finely ground)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄8 cup dried currants or 1⁄8 cup chopped raisins
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (such as chopped almonds)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour, lemon and orange zests, baking powder, black pepper, cinnamon, ground cloves,and salt and set aside.
- Cream butter and both sugars until light and fluffy.
- Beat egg into butter mixture.
- Stir flour mixture into butter mixture until combined.
- Add currants or chopped raisins and stir to combine.
- Wrap in plastic and chill in fridge until firm (at least 30 minutes).
- Once firm, roll dough into 2 large logs.
- Sprinkle chopped nuts out onto a large platter and roll the logs in the nuts- pressing them so the nuts stick.
- Wrap logs well in plastic and freeze at least 1 hour.
- When ready to bake your cookies, preheat oven to 350 degreees F.
- While oven is preheating, let dough sit on your counter to soften just enough to cut easily with a knife.
- Using a sharp knife, cut off round slices from the dough log and place on GREASED cookie sheets.
- Bake until golden brown, about 12 minutes (check at 10 minutes).
- Cool on racks.