Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a jello salad my mom has made ever since I can remember. I had to rename it for Zaar because we call it green "stuff". Don't be put off by the magic ingredient, it gives the jello a great zing. (Time to make includes cooling of boiled water and cooking time is for allowing jello to set.)
- 1 (3 ounce) box lemon Jell-O gelatin
- 1 (3 ounce) box lime Jell-O gelatin
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 quart small curd cottage cheese (the large one)
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple in syrup
- 1 cup Miracle Whip
- Empty both boxes of jello into a large bowl and add boiling water. Stir to dissolve and let cool.(I set in refrigerator for about 10-15 minutes.).
- Add Miracle Whip and beat to a smooth consistency.
- Add cottage cheese and pineapple with the syrup. Mix and refrigerate until set up.
- Note-I have also made this with sugar free jello,1%cottage cheese,lite Miracle Whip, and pineapple in its own juice for a lower sugar/calorie/fat version and it works just as well.
This is almost the exact recipe we use for every Thanksgiving and Christmas as it is my sister's favorite. The only difference is I use mayo instead of miracle whip.
This was a big hit in my family. I don't care for the taste of Miracle Whip (I think it tastes too vingegar-y), so I used low-fat mayonnaise instead, and I think it worked out well and added a bit of zing (along with the pineapple chunks) to this dessert salad. I also used all lime Jell-O because my local grocery store doesn't stock the 3-oz boxes of gelatin, so I used a 6-oz box of lime gelatin. Thanks for posting, nowasmith.
It was different. I liked it my family did not. Made for PAC 2009