Prep 45 mins
Cook 3 hrs 15 mins
Your tastebuds will tingle. Beautifully layered. Very pretty if garnished with a bit of lime zest and a few fresh cranberries. Have a candy thermometer ready for one of the steps. There are quite a few steps, but well worth it!!
- 4 cups fresh cranberries
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cranberry juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon rind, grated
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons water, cold
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime rind, grated
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Combine cranberries, 3/4 cup sugar, cranberry juice, lemon juice and lemon rind in a large pan.
- Cook over medium heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently as it thickens.
- Strain mixture through a wire mesh strainer into a bowl & set aside. (Discard pulp).
- Combine 1/4 cup of divided sugar and cornstarch in a medium pan.
- Gradually stir in milk and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla.
- Gently fold into the cranberry mixture.
- Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Sprinkle gelatin over cold water in a small saucepan and let stand 1 minute.
- Cook over low heat, stirring until gelatin dissolves, about 2 minutes.
- Combine cream cheese and powdered sugar in a blender, cover and process until smooth.
- Set aside.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed with beater until stiff peaks form.
- Combine remaining 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water in a small pan.
- Bring to a boil, cook without stirring until candy thermometer reads 238 degrees - about 7 minutes.
- Gradually pour sugar mixture in a thin stream over the beaten egg whites while beating at a high speed until mixture cools and sets.
- Gently fold egg white mixture into lime mixture.
- Layer 1/2 of cranberry mixture and all of the lime mixture evenly into 12 parfait glasses.
- Cover and chill 15 minutes.
- Spoon remaining cranberry mixture over the lime layer.
- Cover and chill 2 hours.
- Garnish if desired with fresh cranberries and lime zest.