Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Take your hamburgers up a notch with this recipe for hamburgers with Zinfandel wine. This recipe is from the July newsletter at this site: http://www.cheers2wine.com.
- 2 lbs low-fat lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup zinfandel, save rest of bottle to drink with meal
- 1⁄4 cup minced red onion
- 1⁄4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 8 sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 6 large hamburger buns with sesame seeds
- 2⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 6 slices monterey jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons prepared basil pesto
- red leaf lettuce
- 6 slices tomatoes
- 6 thin red onion rings
- 8 fresh basil sprigs (for adding to briquets)
- Prepare grill for cooking.
- In a medium bowl combine the following: hamburger, Zinfandel, minced basil, minced onion, bread crumbs, sundried tomatoes, and garlic salt.
- Divide the hamburger into 6 portions and shape into round patties.
- Spray the grill with canola oil.
- Toss the basil sprigs onto the coals.
- Grill hamburger patties until done (5 to 8 minutes approximately on each side).
- During the last minute of cooking top each hamburger with a slice of cheese.
- Mix mayonnaise and basil pesto and spread some of this mixture onto each of the toasted hamburger buns.
- Assemble lettuce, hamburger, tomato slice and onion slices onto each bun.
I love these burgers. Juicy and definitely flavorful!