1/7 Photos of Zinfandel-Braised Beef Short Ribs
3 hrs 30 mins
I was on my home from the grocery, all set to make a different recipe, when I stopped at the library and saw this one in the May 2009 issue of Bon Appetit. I had to sub potatoes for the parsnips and used chicken broth instead of beef, but ended up very pleased with this recipe. I did not thicken the gravy, but include the instructions for doing so. This goes very well with mashed potatoes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 8 beef short ribs or 4 lbs beef short ribs
- coarse kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups chopped red onions
- 2 cups cubed parsnips, 1/2 in cubes
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 (750 ml) bottle zinfandel
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1Preheat oven to 325 deg F. Melt 1 tbl butter in heavy large ovenproof pot over medium-high heat.
- 2Sprinkle ribs with coarse salt and pepper, and add to pot in single-layer without crowding. (Do in batches, if necessary). When browned on all sides, remove to bowl.
- 3Add 1 tbl butter to pot (I did not as my ribs exuded enough fat). Add onions and saute until brown, about 6 minutes.
- 4Add parsnips and saute until they begin to color, about 6 minutes.
- 5Add garlic and then the rosemary.
- 6Add wine and broth and bring to a boil, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- 7Return the ribs and any accumulated juices to the pot in a single layer. Bring to a simmer, cover, and place in oven.
- 8Braise until the ribs are very tender, about 2 1/2 hours.
- 9Using tongs, remove ribs to a serving bowl and keep warm.
- 10Skim fat from the gravy, and boil until it starts to thicken, about 10 minutes.
- 11In the meantime, mix together 1 tbl butter with the flour. Adding it in bits, whisk this into the gravy and continue to cook until it's thick enough to coat a spoon, about 5 minutes longer.
- 12Season with salt and pepper. Cover ribs with gravy.
- 13Note: This can be made up to two days ahead. Rewarm over low heat before serving.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zinfandel-Braised Beef Short Ribs
Serving Size: 1 (274 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 336.1
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 22.9 mg
- Sodium 97.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 8.9 g
- Protein 2.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
beef short ribs