Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs 3 mins
From Cooking Light. Serving size: 3 oz. beef, 3/4 c. onion mixture and 1/2 c. potatoes. Per serving: 342 calories, 9.5 g fat, 27.2 g protein, 34.4 g carb, 4.7 g fiber, 70 mg cholesterol. Have extra wine and chicken broth available in case you need to add more during the long cooking time.
- 2 cups red Zinfandel wine
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1 (2 1/2 lb) beef brisket, trimmed
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 8 cups sliced walla walla onions (or other sweet onion)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons dried thyme, divided
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 1⁄2 lbs small red potatoes, cut into quarters
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- In a bowl, combine the first 3 ingredients; stir with a whisk.
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle beef with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper (or to taste); coat pan with cooking spray.
- Add beef to pan; cook 8 minutes, browning on all sides.
- Remove beef to a platter; cover and set aside.
- Add in 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, onion, sugar, and 1 teaspoon thyme to pan.
- Stir/saute 20 minutes or until onions are tender and golden brown.
- Add in garlic, carrots, and celery; stir/saute 5 minutes.
- Place beef on top of onion mixture; pour wine mixture over beef; cover and put in oven.
- Bake for 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- While the beef is cooking; put potatoes in a large mixing bowl; add in 3/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon thyme, oil, oregano, and cayenne; toss to coat.
- Arrange potatoes in a single layer on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray.
- Remove beef from oven; turn beef over.
- Place potatoes on lower rack in oven.
- Cover beef and return to oven; bake for 45 minutes or until beef is tender.
- Remove beef from oven; cover and keep warm.
- Increase oven temp to 425°; place potatoes on middle oven rack; bake for 15 minutes or until crisp and edges are browned.
- Remove beef from pan; cut across grain into thin slices.
- Serve with onion mixture and potatoes.
- Sprinkle with parsley.