Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a good sauce to compliment grilled meats. I got the recipe from an advertisment for cookbooks.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 -4 shallots, minced (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups zinfandel
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (can add more to taste)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- salt and pepper
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the shallots and garlic, cook until just beginning to brown, 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add all but 2 tablespoons of the wine and bring to a boil.
- Let the mixture boil until reduced to about 1/2 cup.
- Reduce the heat and stir in the ketchup, brown sugar, honey and liquid smoke.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Let the sauce simmer gently until thick, 6 to 10 minutes, adding the remaining 2 tablespoons wine after 4 minutes.
- Serve sauce warm.
- It will keep in the frige, covered for several weeks.
This is an excellent and different type of BBQ Sauce. If you want something that is non traditional definetly go for this!