Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
These are typical christmas cookies in Switzerland. I got the recipe while doing an exchange year in Switzerland. They are good anytime of the year though!!!
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 pinch salt
- 250 g powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cinnamon (or a little more, if you want)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 350 g ground almonds
- Beat egg whites with salt until stiff.
- Add the powdered sugar and mix.
- Keep 1 dl of the mixture as frosting.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Roll the dough out in a ziploc bag, that's cut open (cut the two side seams so the two parts are held together only at the bottom) Cut out stars or whatever other shapes you want.
- Bake for 3-5 minutes in a preheated oven at 450°F.
- When cookies are still warm, dip one side of cookies in frosting.
Hi, here's a tip how to roll the very sticky dough when you make Zimtsterne!Roll the dough betwen clearwrap and stick the cookiecutter in suger between cutting.I used unsalted chasheys last time when I made them and they turned out very yummy. Happy Christmas,Frohe Weihnachten Helga in Alaska
Excellent flavor, but dough is extremely difficult to handle. THere was no way I could cut out any shape from the dough. I've never worked with egg white based cookie dough before, so I didn't know whether to grease the pans. I tried using waxed paper, and I ended up breaking most of the cookies getting them off the paper (didn't have parchment). I also didn't know how thick the cookies should be. Not a good recipe for an inexperienced baker.