1/1 Photo of Zimtsterne (Cinnamon Star Cookies)
Zimtsterne (cinnamon stars) are maybe THE traditional German Christmas cookies. Everyone loves these little treats. But many don't like to make them, because the sticky dough can be a bit tricky while cutting the stars. But if you take the time to make them, it is more than worthwhile all the work. They are heavenly. If you have tasted the first you can't stop eating them. And christmas without Zimtsterne? NEVER! They are a must.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 300 g almonds, finely grounded
- 100 g caster sugar, siefted
- 50 g flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 egg whites (see note on egg size)
- 1In a bowl mix dry ingredients for dough.
- 2Add egg whites and knead until a still sticky dough is formed.
- 3Wrap into cling film and put into the fridge for at least one hour. I always leave it in the fridge for 2 - 4 hours.
- 4Near the end of cooling time preaheat oven (170 C) and make meringue glaze.
- 5For meringue glaze beat egg white with salt until stiff. While still beating add caster sugar by and by to make meringue.
- 6The meringue should have a consistency that you can spread it with a brush onto the dough later. It should have a more creamy consistency, so that it will stick on the dough and not running down.
- 7Add just a little milk to get the right consistency. Depending on the egg white you may need about 1 to 3 tablespoons.
- 8Line out baking trays with parchment paper.
- 9Get the dough out of the fridge and roll it out between two layers of parchment papers or cling film. The dough sould be a bout 1 cm thick.
- 10Method ONE for making cinnamon stars (easy way): Using a star cutter cut out the stars and place them on the baking tray. With a brush spread meringue glaze on the cookies.
- 11Method TWO for making cinnamon stars (tricky way): After you have rolled out the dough spread a thin layer of the meringue glaze on the dough. Now you need a star cutter which can be opened. These are available in Germany. When you can open the cookie cutter you avoid touching the glaze, because the dough has the tendency to stick to the cutter. Put the stars on the tray. Knead the rest of the dough again and add some grounded almonds, so that the dough is not too sticky. Repeat the steps of making the stars.
- 12Bake the cookies for about 10 - 12 minutes. Watch them carefully, because the meringue should not be browned.
- 13Take them out and let cool completely. Store them in airtight container. The cookies get better and better, because the flavours blended over time, but I you have to find a good hidout.
- 14NOTE on egg size: egg size is important here, because it determines the stickyness. My recipe is based on an egg size of 54 - 63 g per egg.
- 15Custom yield is a guess.
- 16Time to make does NOT include cooling time.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zimtsterne (Cinnamon Star Cookies)
Serving Size: 1 (795 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 85.8
- Calories from Fat 40
- Total Fat 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 36.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 7.9 g
- Protein 2.2 g