These German cookies are sweet and nicely spiced with a satisfying crunch. We often make these during Christmas. Since I am not partial to walnuts I always omit them.
- Mix butter, sugar, 2 whole eggs, 1 egg yolk, and lemon juice until fluffy.
- Stir dry ingredients together; blend into sugar mixture; stir in optional nuts.
- Divide dough into 3 pieces, and roll 1 piece at a time to 1/16 inch thick on lightly floured board; cut with a star cookie cutter.
- Brush the tops of the cookies with the remaining egg white, beaten until frothy.
- Bake cookies on a lighty greased baking sheet 6-8 minutes until golden brown at 375°F.
- Makes 6-9 dozen cookies depending on the size of your cookie cutter.