Recipe by LUv 2 BaKE
These German cookies are sweet and nicely spiced with a satisfying crunch. We often make these during Christmas. Since I am not partial to walnuts I always omit them.
Top Review by Chef Dame
I loved these cookies! They had the perfect amound of spice, nice and chewy, and simple to make. I couldnt find my cookie cutters so I just cut them into squares and made them that way and it yielded about 19 cookies but they were rather large.
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg, seperated
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 1⁄3 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, finely chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix butter, sugar, 2 whole eggs, 1 egg yolk, and lemon juice until fluffy.
- Stir dry ingredients together; blend into sugar mixture; stir in optional nuts.
- Divide dough into 3 pieces, and roll 1 piece at a time to 1/16 inch thick on lightly floured board; cut with a star cookie cutter.
- Brush the tops of the cookies with the remaining egg white, beaten until frothy.
- Bake cookies on a lighty greased baking sheet 6-8 minutes until golden brown at 375°F.
- Makes 6-9 dozen cookies depending on the size of your cookie cutter.