This is a pork schnitzel with a spicy tomato sauce with mushrooms. I have tried this using chicken as well and I really can't decide which I like better. We really enjoy these. Something my Grandmother used to make for us when we went to visit.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs pork schnitzels or 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika, sweet to taste
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes, ground
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons chili paste
- Place the schnitzel between 2 sheets of wax paper and pound to 1/4" thickness.
- Season the meat with pepper and paprika to taste.
- Lightly dredge the meat in flour shaking off any excess.
- Heat 2 Tbsp of oil in fry pan and quickly brown both sides of the meat then turn the heat down to medium and fry each side for another 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the meat from the pan and keep warm.
- Add another Tbsp of oil to the same pan.
- Wipe mushrooms clean and slice, then brown them lightly in the pan.
- In the meantime finely chop or slice onions and add to pan.
- Half and de-seed the bell peppers, thinly slice and add to pan.
- Let the vegetables cock for about 10 minutes.
- Deglaze with the wine and broth, add the tomatoes, tomato paste and chilli paste and stir until heated through. Season with salt and pepper to your taste.
- Pour sauce over the schitzel.
- Serve with home fries or french fries, spatzel,rice or noodles.