1/2 Photos of Zigeunerschnitzel (Gypsy Schnitzel)
This is a pork schnitzel with a spicy tomato sauce with mushrooms. I have tried this using chicken as well and I really can't decide which I like better. We really enjoy these. Something my Grandmother used to make for us when we went to visit.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs pork schnitzels or 1 1/2 lbs boneless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika, sweet to taste
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes, ground
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons chili paste
- 1Place the schnitzel between 2 sheets of wax paper and pound to 1/4" thickness.
- 2Season the meat with pepper and paprika to taste.
- 3Lightly dredge the meat in flour shaking off any excess.
- 4Heat 2 Tbsp of oil in fry pan and quickly brown both sides of the meat then turn the heat down to medium and fry each side for another 3-4 minutes.
- 5Remove the meat from the pan and keep warm.
- 6Add another Tbsp of oil to the same pan.
- 7Wipe mushrooms clean and slice, then brown them lightly in the pan.
- 8In the meantime finely chop or slice onions and add to pan.
- 9Half and de-seed the bell peppers, thinly slice and add to pan.
- 10Let the vegetables cock for about 10 minutes.
- 11Deglaze with the wine and broth, add the tomatoes, tomato paste and chilli paste and stir until heated through. Season with salt and pepper to your taste.
- 12Pour sauce over the schitzel.
- 13Serve with home fries or french fries, spatzel,rice or noodles.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zigeunerschnitzel (Gypsy Schnitzel)
Serving Size: 1 (419 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 251.9
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 510.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 12.5 g
- Protein 7.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: