These are just divine, but not for those who don't enjoy lip-tingling heat! From "Sichuan Cookery", the best and most inspirational cookbook I have ever read! We have these regularly for dinner and I can never get enough of them. The dumplings themselves are quite plain, all the better to set off the delicious, aromatic sauce!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- circular dumpling wrappers
- 60 g piece fresh ginger, unpeeled
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon shaoxing wine
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 450 g ground pork
- 1Smash the ginger with the flat side of a cleaver or heavy object and leave to soak for a few minutes in 200ml cold water.
- 2Mix the egg, wine and salt and pepper into the pork, then gradually add the ginger-water (discarding the crushed pieces), so it is absorbed by the meat to form a fragrant, floppy paste.
- 3Mix the dipping sauce ingredients in a small bowl; always add the garlic at the last minute to make the most of it's flavour and fragrance.
- 4Fill each dumpling wrapper wth a good teaspoon of filling, and seal to make a half-moon shape. Seal with a series of little pinches if you want it to look good and authentic! Make sure dumpling skin is sealed so that the filling can't ooze out. Lay the dumplings out seperately on a lightly floured surface.
- 5Heat a large pan of water to a vigorous boil over high heat. Throw in a couple of handfuls of dumplings. Stir once to prevent sticking. When the water has returned to the boil, throw in a coffee cupful of cold water. Allow the water to return to the boil and throw in another coffee cupful of cold water. When the water has returned to the boil again, the skins should be glossy and the meat should have cooked through.
- 6Remove from pan with a slotted spoon, drain well, and serve hot with dip. Continue cooking the dumplings in batches.
- 7FYI - the cold water is added to stop the water from boiling too vigorously and tearin the dumplings apart.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zhong Dumplings - Zhong Sui Jiao
Serving Size: 1 (161 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 354.1
- Calories from Fat 236
- Total Fat 26.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.4 g
- Cholesterol 127.5 mg
- Sodium 1273.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 22.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: