Recipe by Pa. Hiker
This is a wonderful ancient Russian dish that will surprise you by delicious taste and tempting aroma. Serve it on a holiday table and your guests won't get up until the plates are empty.
Top Review by heatherhopecs
Sorry, I wanted to like this dish but it just did not work for me. The vegetables turned into a big mush and the beef was very tough. I don't think I'll be making it again.
- 1 lb beef roast
- 5 medium potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium carrot
- 2 aka parsnips parsley roots
- 1 celery root
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 tablespoon dill, chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can beef broth
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel potatoes, wash, cut into cubes and fry in butter until light golden.
- Slice onion, carrot, and roots, fry in butter until golden.
- Cube beef and fry in butter until light brown.
- In a ceramic pot, put beef, potatoes, onion, carrot, roots, garlic, season with salt and pepper and pour in the broth.
- Cook in the oven for 30 minutes at 350, or crockpot for 4 hours on low.
- 10 minutes before done, add sour cream and sprinkle with green.
- Serve Zharkoye with salad from fresh vegetables, pickles, sauerkraut and greens.