Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Eastern European stewed pork dish.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs trimmed pork shoulder, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon dried summer savory
- 3⁄4 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 4 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 dill pickles, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 lb old fashioned grits
- 3⁄4 lb mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Place pork in 4 qusrt pot and salt and pepper to taste. Cover pot and let meat steam over high heat, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon olive oil and brown meat, stirring occasionally, 6-8 minutes.
- Mash garlic cloves, summer savory, and 3/4 teaspoon salt in mortar and pestle. Put garlic paste into and small bowl and grind the coriander and fenugreek seeds in the mortar and pestle.
- Add garlic paste and 1 teaspoon olive oil to pork and stir over medium heat 1 minute. Add onion, bell and jalapeno peppers and coriander/fenugreek and cook until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup water and bring to bowl. Reduce heat and simmer 1 hour.
- Add parsley and pickles and serve over grits.
- For the grits:.
- Bring 3 cups water and 3/4 teaspoon salt to a boil. Stir in grits, return to boil, then simmer, stirring, until thickended, about 18 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-low and add cheese a few cubes at a time while stirring until it is all melted inches.