Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
When we moved to Cyprus, we found pork was really so cheap that we needed new recipes, and I came up with this, which has become a favourite with our friends all year round!
- 2 lbs diced pork shoulder, leg
- 1 large onion
- 1 large green pepper
- 16 ounces chopped tomatoes
- 16 ounces red kidney beans (drained)
- 16 ounces butter beans (drained)
- schwartz cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- chili paste (sambal olek)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- olive oil
- potato flakes, if required
- Heat olive oil in a large deep saucepan.
- Fry the pork in the Cajun seasoning, onion and garlic until brown.
- Add the green peppers, tomatoes, butter beans, kidney beans and cumin seeds. Stir on a high heat for five minutes then reduce heat to simmer, or move to a casserole dish, and continue cooking in the oven.
- After an hour, add cocoa, then chilli to taste.
- If required, add thickening granules or potato flakes to thicken, before serving.
- Serve with; couscous, white rice, roast, jacket or mashed potatoes, or even crusty bread and salad… you name it!