Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
What did a neighbor leave a large over sized zucchini on your porch? What to do with it? This is a great way to savor the summer squash. Just be sure to remove all the seed and soft white center. This recipe is spicy with an Asian touch. Wonderful on Grilled salmon burgers. Or place some in your next sushi rolls. This is a take off of my Sweet and Spicy Garden Relish/ Chow-Chow. Enjoy!
- 1 very large zucchini, 8 cups shredded zucchini
- 4 onions, 3 cups shredded
- 4 bell peppers, 3 cups shredded
- 3 green chili peppers, roasted
- 6 -8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup canning salt
- 3 cups vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds or 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 -2 teaspoon wasabi powder
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon chopped lemon basil or 1 tablespoon cilantro or 1 tablespoon culantro
- green food coloring
- Place the Brine soak ingredients in a glass or stainless steel container. Sprinkle with canning salt and cover with cold water. Let stand for 1 hour or refrigerate overnight, rinse well and drain. Squeeze out excess water. You`ll have 4 cups of well packed veggies.
- In a large heavy bottom pot prepare vinegar solution by adding all it`s ingredients bring to a boil then add the drained vegetables and simmer for 10 minute Add food coloring if desired.
- Fill jars, leaving 1/4-inch head-space. Process pints for 10 minute in boiling-water canner.
A very good relish in texture, color, and taste. In particular I liked that it was not overly sweet. I would increase the wasabi a bit, but as the recipe stands its tasty.
This relish was absolutely delicious. I made it exactly as the recipe stated. loved the texture and color.
Definitely a ***** and I will make it again.
Very tasty. Took a long time to make and only made a little over 3 pints for me. I rechecked my ingredients not sure what went wrong.