Recipe by Rita~
Zesty zukes with gusto that you will relish! Most the sodium is washed away. As for the leftover infused vinegar you can dress cabbage for coleslaw use it for basting grilled meats.
- 10 cups zucchini, 1/4 slices on a diagonal
- 1 large onion, peeled, halved and sliced
- 6 red jalapenos, sliced into strips
- 1⁄2 cup pickling salt
- 6 cups white vinegar
- 4 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon dill seed
- 1 teaspoon lovage seeds (optional)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chipotle chile, flakes (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large stainless steel bowl layer the first 3 ingredients sprinkle all the salt on the veggies. Top with cold water and set aside for 2-3 hours.
- Drain into a colander and rinse well under running cold water.Drain well.
- In a large stainless steel pot add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil stirring to dissolve sugar. Gentle boil for 10 minutes. Cover and let infuse for 1 hour.
- Prep your jars I used 6 - 8 ounce jars. And prepare the water bath.
- Bring the infused vinegar to a boil.
- Add the drained veggies bring to a boil and for 5 minutes.
- Pack into jars leaving 1/2 head space.
- Remove air bubbles and ladle the hot liquid to leave 1/2 inch head space.
- Wipe rims clean and top with lids and bands. screw to finger tip tight.
- Place jars in boiling water bath with at least 1 inch covering the jars.
- Bring back to a boil , cover and boil for 15 minutes.
- Turn of flame remove lid and rest for 5 minutes.
- Remove jars without tipping and place in a draft free place till cool.
- Remove bands and store in a cool dark place.