Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
You don't have to feel guilty for having a slice of this little treat. My recipe incorporates a sweet taste of spice, citrus and veggies all wrapped up into one delicious bread. I found it's great way to use that left over Carrot pulp from Juicing.
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, pulp (spent from juicing or grated fine)
- 1 cup zucchini (grated, blended, food processed)
- 3 cups flour
- 3 whole eggs (large)
- 1 cup applesauce (unsweetened)
- 2 lemons, zest of
- 2 oranges, zest of
- 1 -2 tablespoon ginger (grated- fresh)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- pre heat oven 350.
- in first bowl, mix dry ingredients.
- in second bowl, whisk/mix eggs and applesauce.
- combine bowl 2 with bowl 1 and mix until all dry ingredients are well incorporated. (will appear very dry like dough).
- add zucchini, carrot puree, citrus rind, and ginger, mix well.
- Spray oil or grease baking pan. I chose a large bread pan.
- pour ingredients into bread pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour 30 minutes. until done in center.
Great taste and texture. Spices were very pronounced, and the citrus is a nice touch. This made a lot of batter and I think I would put it into 2 smaller loaf pans next time, as it really filled my standard loaf pan close to spilling over, and the outside was getting overdone, while it was still a bit too moist in the center. The ingredient list is not in the same order as the instructions so it is a bit confusing. Made for Spring 2010 PAC.