Recipe by Redsie
Quick and easy!
Top Review by Tee Lee
This recipe was nice. It was like a lasagna as a side-dish. I halved the recipe, used whole-wheat rotelle and a green bell pepper because that's what I had. I think next time I will use the red pepper or some shredded zucchini instead though, and either less noodles or more tomatoes. All in all this was quick and very tasty.
- 1 lb ziti pasta or 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 sweet red peppers or 2 zucchini, diced
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes in puree
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 egg whites
- 1 (15 ounce) container part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2⁄3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Prepare the pasta according to the package directions. Drain and transfer to a 3-quart casserole dish.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, or until softened. Add the zucchini or sweet red pepper, tomatoes, Italian seasoning, red-pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Combine the egg whites and the ricotta in a medium bowl, stir to mix well, and spoon over the pasta. Top with the vegetable mixture and sprinkle with the mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Bake for 45 minutes, until the top is golden brown.