Recipe by LiisaN
Creamy wild rice soup with a slight zest! Good for a chilly night. Perhaps a salad, bread and white wine...(a cozy fire wouldn't hurt either!) Yummy!!
Top Review by StacyMD187373
Pretty good soup! I halved the recipe and didn't use celery since we didn't have it here. I did use 1 can evaporated milk and 1/2 cup skim in place of half and half. Also added a little parsley in addition to the thyme. I like pepper jack cheese, but not sure how well it fit in with this soup. Might just do cheddar if I make again or even leave it out. Overall, though, creamy and delicious. Half recipe made about 5-6 servings for use.
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped red onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated carrots
- 1 1⁄2 cups thinly sliced celery
- 10 tablespoons flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups cooked wild rice
- 2 lbs chicken or 2 lbs turkey, cooked and chopped coarsely
- 1 quart half-and-half
- 1⁄2 lb shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄4 lb shredded monterey jack pepper cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In large saucepan, melt butter.
- Saute onions, carrots, celery until tender.
- Stir in flour.
- Cook for approx 1 minute.
- Gradually add broth.
- Cook and stir until mixture boils and becomes thickened.
- Stir in thyme, salt, pepper, wild rice and turkey/chicken.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Stir in half-and-half.
- Add cheeses and stir until melted.