This dish is not only savory and zesty, but also very healthy. My family loved this dish and so will you! The vegetables and spices used can be switched and substituted for unlimited tasty combinations.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 1 (15 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups zucchini, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) jar artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- In a large pot, cook onion, red pepper, and garlic with olive oil over medium high heat; stir occasionally for about 5 minutes until vegetable are softened.
- Add rice stir to coat with oil and vegetable mixture.
- Add tomatoes, broth, and red pepper flakes.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium low.
- Cook for 10 minutes; stirring occasionally.
- Add zucchini, artichoke hearts, and carrots.
- Continue to cook, covered, for 15-20 minutes until broth is almost absorbed.
- Add peas and parsley and cook a few more minutes until heated through.
I made this exactly as written- and it was a hit! :) I'll be making this again with different combinations.
I made exactly as the recipe, but it was a little on spicy hot side. I think if you tone down the crushed red pepper flakes then this will be one amazing dish.
Gonna try this tonight!! Switching white rice to brown rice!! =)