Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I believe I got this from TOH; I haven't tried it yet, but it looks delicious.
- 2 quarts water
- 3 lbs beef short ribs with bones
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 2 medium carrots, quartered
- 2 celery ribs, quartered
- 8 whole allspice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 quart v- 8 vegetable juice
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup uncooked noodles
- In Dutch oven or soup kettle, bring broth ingredients to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove ribs; allow to cool.
- Skim fat and strain broth; discard vegetables and seasonings.
- Remove meat from bones and cut into bite-sized pieces; return to broth.
- Add the first 10 soup ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in noodles.
- Return to boil; cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until noodles are tender.