Recipe by nomnom
Go on: drool. I certainly am from this sandwich. My first contribution to RSC4
Top Review by Goldcrest
This is the kind of sandwich I love, with such a variety of ingredients. I've eaten sweet potato as a sandwich spread but never carrot - what an excellent idea! I did make a few changes. I used pitta bread and sliced baked tofu and didn't cook the onions. Instead I add 2 tsp. each of the spices to the mashed carrot (which made it HOT) and spread one side of the pitta pocket with a little wholegrain mustard. I also used a mix of alfalfa and broccoli sprouts. I doubled the recipe to make sandwiches for my family and all those whose opinion in this matter counts, enjoyed it immensely. I think the orange juice is a touch of genius, so beautifully does it balance the heat of the spices and bring out the sweetness of the carrots. To top it all it was very easy to make though there are so many ingredients when I had them all at hand. Most certainly will I make this again. Thank you very much Jessica.
- 3 ounces tofu (can be leftovers from the night before) or 3 ounces tempeh (can be leftovers from the night before)
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard (scant)
- 1 vidalia onion, sliced into rings
- black pepper
- 2 1⁄8-2 1⁄4 teaspoons curry powder, divided (2 tsp, then rest)
- 2 1⁄8-2 1⁄4 teaspoons cayenne pepper, divided (2 tsp. then rest)
- 5 large baby carrots, steamed, mashed
- 1⁄2-1 tablespoon fresh orange juice or 1⁄2-1 tablespoon lemon juice or 1⁄2-1 tablespoon lime juice
- spinach leaves
- alfalfa sprout (optional)
- crusty bread
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450*F.
- Mix together soy sauce and mustard.
- Dip tofu or tempeh in mixture and let sit (no need for long marinating).
- Sprinkle both sides of the vidalia with black pepper, 2 tsp curry, and 2 tsp cayenne.
- Roast to desired color and crispness (around 10-20 minutes on each side).
- Mix together mashed carrots with OJ, 1/8-1/4 tsp curry and 1/8-1/4 tsp cayenne Once finished roasted, turn down to 200*F.
- Place tofu, bread inside with onions to heat up and to crust the bread.
- Once heated and toasted, take bread out, spread both slices with carrot mixture Arrange spinach on the bottom slice.
- Press sprouts on the top slice.
- Remove heated tofu and place on top of spinach.
- Remove onions and place on top of tofu.
- Press top slice alfalpha/spread-side down.