Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is good for stews, rice, grits, or anything you choose to use stewed tomatoes for. This also freezes well. Serving size, cook time and prep time is approximate.
- 6 -8 medium tomatoes
- 1 -2 stalk celery, ends cut,finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon season salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon italian seasoning (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (optional)
- 3 cups water
- Cross cut tomatoes on top and bottom.
- In a large pot, boil for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove tomatoes and place in a colander (make sure colander is inside a bowl to catch any juices).
- Cool tomatoes until they can be handled (tomatoes should still be warm).
- Using your thumb and a small knife, peel and core tomatoes over colander.
- Add tomatoes and remaining ingredients to pot.
- Cook over medium heat for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally and breaking up tomatoes while stirring.
- Allow to cool to room temperature if you are going to store in freezer.
This was an easy recipe and it went great with Mac n Cheese.