Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
You can roast your own peppers(2) and peel and use if you like . I have tried both ways but prefer the ones already done for lazy 'ole me. These are surprisingly tasty and disappear quickly whenever I put them out. They freeze well for up to 3 weeks so you always will have a little something on hand for unexpected company.
- 370 ml roasted red peppers, jarred strips
- 2⁄3 cup old cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄3 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, finely grated
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons light mayonnaise, regular is OK too
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme, rubbed to enhance its flavour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried basil, rubbed to enhance its flavour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, I prefer kosher
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 12 slices white bread, thick sliced
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- Mix butter and paprika together, set aside.
- Cut crusts off of bread. Roll with rolling pin to 1/8 inch thickness. Set aside.
- Drain and finely chop peppers.
- Combine peppers, cheeses, parsley, mayonaisse, thyme, basil and salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- Lay two sheets of plastic wrap on the counter, long enough to place all the bread slices on. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush with the butter/paprika mixture. Flip all the slices over and lightly brush again with the remaining mixture.
- Spread cheese and pepper mixture evenly on all slices. Leave a a 1/2 inch border at the side farthest away from you and no need to go to the very edges on the sides either.
- Start rolling slices away from you towards the empty border, use your fingers to push in any stray bits. Continue until all are rolled.
- Cut each roll in 1/2 and place seam side down on parchment lined baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap, in fridge for 2 hours to set up.
- Remove plastic wrap and bake in preheated oven at 350-375 for 20 min approximately or until they look crisp and golden. Oven temperatures vary and if you are cooking from frozen, be sure to add an extra 5 minute.
- Keep an eye on them, very easy to prepare and quick to disappear!
I loved these little rollups Annie! Flavours are excellent with the sweetness of the roasted peppers and the tangy cheeses - ummm perfect! Annie had prepared the rollups and they were baked from frozen, taste and texture were great. Definitely an appetizer to keep on hand in the freezer. The butter and paprika mixture give these a beautiful red/gold colour. YUMMY!!
I just love these but I love just about anything with melted cheese! Something to keep in mind for my next party.
I have not made these but I did have the pleasure of eating them recently at Countrylady's potluck Tapas party. These are wonderful. I will definitely be saving this recipe and intend to make them soon